When does the next grants round open?
The next competitive grants round will be in the 2022-23 financial year. Grants opportunities are published on GrantConnect and the Foundation's website.
Who can apply for a grant?
To be eligible you must:
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- be a permanent resident or citizen of Australia
- have an account with an Australian financial institution
- be located in Australia or Greater China and be one of the following entity types:
- a company incorporated in Australia
- a company incorporated by guarantee
- an incorporated trustee on behalf of a trust
- an incorporated association
- a partnership
- a joint (consortia) application with a lead organisation
- a registered charity or not-for-profit organisation
- a publicly funded research organisation
- an individual who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia
- an Australian local government body
- an Australian state or territory government body
- an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Corporation registered under the Corporations (Aboriginal and /or Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006.
What type of projects are supported by the grants program?
The Foundation provides grants to develop, promote and strengthen understanding and engagement between Australia and China in support of Australia’s national interests.
We are interested in projects that meet the following objectives:
- Promoting connections and practical cooperation
- Building understanding and exchange
- Showcasing Australian excellence
- Engaging Australia’s diverse communities
What kind of grant applications have been successful in previous rounds?
For a list of successful grant applications, please visit our Grant Recipients page for details of successful projects.
How do I apply for a Foundation grant?
We publish grants opportunities on GrantConnect and the Foundation's website. We suggest you register with GrantConnect, and you are welcome to become a friend of the Foundation to receive future grants news.
Does my application have to include a connection to China?
Yes. This grant opportunity aims to develop, promote and strengthen understanding and engagement between Australia and China.
Does my grant activity have to occur in Australia?
No. Grant activities may take place in different locations, as long as they are all in Australia and/or Greater China.
How much funding can I apply for?
Most grants that receive funding are between $50,000 and $500,000 in total. We do not offer multi-year or recurring grants. A grant activity may however take place over two years.
Can a grant be used to cover the employment of existing employees?
Grants can be used to cover the employment of employees working directly on the grant project but not for ongoing salary costs. For existing employees, you may include a pro rata amount reflecting the amount of time they spend working directly on the grant activity.
Do I have to prove funding from another source?
This is not required. However, your application must demonstrate the sustainability of the grant activity beyond the Foundation’s support.
Do I get the funding in one payment?
This will be determined at the time of contracting.
Will I get the whole grant amount I apply for?
Not all expenditure on your grant activity may be eligible for grant funding. The Program Delegate makes the final decision on what is eligible expenditure and may give additional guidance on eligible expenditure if required.
You must incur the expenditure on your grant activities or project/services between the start date and end date for your grant agreement for it to be eligible.
How much detail do I need to include in the project details?
To enable the assessment committee to make an informed decision, ensure you answer all the questions in the online application form on SmartyGrants. Provide enough information about the project so the committee understands what the funding will be used for.
Your risk management capabilities and procedures are an important part of your application. Consider risks, e.g. COVID-19 restrictions, and their impacts on your grant activity. Demonstrate processes you have to manage and mitigate these risks.
When will I be notified if I am successful?
The assessment process for grants takes up to 12 weeks following the closing date for submission of applications. We will advise you of the outcome of your application in writing. If your grant application is successful, we will advise you of any specific conditions attached to the grant.
If unsuccessful, can I apply again in future grant opportunities?